When it comes to finding the best toys and gifts for preschool children, there are two main considerations that need to be need. Firstly, the safety of the toy should be paramount. Secondly, the educational potential of the toy should also be considered. We are going to take a look at some of the top electronic learning toys for preschool age children as well as a toy or two that does not require batteries.
Best Learning Toys for Preschool Children
Here is our roundup of the top toys for children age 2 to 5 years old.
- Playskool Alphie – This classic from Hasbro has been updated for the 21st century and is still a hit with children in this age range. Available for a surprisingly low price, it is a great way for younger boys and girls to learn while having fun at the same time. While boys may be more interested in this robot, there is nothing saying a little girl would hate the idea of having a robot buddy.
- LeapPad Explorer Learning Tablet – This is better for boys and girls age four and five, but these days even some toddlers and three year olds have the skills to operate a touchscreen. This does require batteries – we recommend rechargeable batteries – but it has a lot of potential for growing with your preschool age child as they develop. At around $100, it’s a solid investment.
- LeapFrog Scribble and Write – This is not as versatile as some of the other electronic learning toys on the market, but for the price it’s a great, fun way for preschool children to practice their numbers and letters with an etch-a-sketch style device that lets them print out letters and numbers. At around $20, it’s a great value and good for a preschool age boy or girl.
- Pretend and Play School Set – Created by Learning Resources, this is a great way to get smaller children accustomed to the idea of school, even making it fun. Doing this can help them make the transition to school where they must interact in a social situation with other children. For the price, this is a great way to add a little extra to the imagination when “playing school” at home.
- Vtech – V.Reader Animated E-Book System – Less expensive than a Kindle or other eBook reader, this is an eBook reader for kids that makes it fun for them to learn to read. They can interact with the screen as the story is read to them. Rechargeable batteries are recommended for the Vreader from Vtech.
- Alphabet Matcher – This is a toy from Twisterz that does not require a battery! It is a great way for preschool children to learn their letters. There is another version that is a Word Matcher that allows children to create their own stories – all without electronics.
This is just a small sample of some of the best toys for preschool age boys and girls. As mentioned, the important things to remember when buying for this age group are safety and potential for learning.
Source by K. Paul Mallasch